White Nectarine Salad Over Asparagus
Unlike many people, I LOVE to go grocery shopping... fun right?
Perhaps it's because I love to eat, perhaps it's because I love to cook (or both), but the act of perusing and purchasing food for my family makes me truly happy. I frequent several different stores and farmers markets, but Trader Joes and our local mom 'n pop grocer are my favorites.
This recipe was born on a late Sunday morning. I had woken up early, consumed black coffee, brought home a huge array of goods from the grocery store and put them all away to find myself famished and overwhelmed at what I could make.
Interestingly enough, I was too hungry to want to spend time cooking a fancy meal, and I'm sure a lot of your often feel that way! When creating a quick dish, I follow my senses and choose foods that when combined look beautiful and offer a variety of nutrients, colors, textures and flavors.
If you don't have time to make a hot meal, try this simple salad! It is sweet, crunchy, savory, sweet and filling. Also, I always keep a dozen hardboiled eggs in the fridge as they are the perfect on-the-go snack or protein addition to any meal!
Hope you enjoy!
- 6 spears of asparagus
- 1 white nectarine, cubed
- 2 large eggs, hardboiled, cubed
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- Add asparagus. Season with garlic, salt and pepper. Saute about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove asparagus and place on dish. Add walnuts and toast for a few minutes. To avoid burning, toss them in pan frequently.
- Assemble eggs and nectarine over asparagus. Sprinkle hot walnuts on top and basil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste!