Clean & Delicious Taco Salad with Avocado & Sweet Potato
Craving tacos? Eating clean?
It's not easy to eat healthy AND satisfy a craving for tacos. If I walk into a Mexican restaurant, I typically spend the first 20 minutes mindlessly stuffing chips into my face and then eat sour cream and cheese laden foods in fried tortillas.... not exactly nutritious.
My challenge was to recreate the flavors I love, while also crafting a deliciously healthy meal!
This taco salad removes the fried bowl, dairy and beans. Replaced with lots of greens, sauteed and fresh vegetables, avocado, lean grass-fed beef and roasted sweet potatoes. Add the salsa of your choice and squeeze of lime to add PUNCH to the dish!
This salad is quite filling, colorful and Paleo & Whole 30-friendly. I hope you enjoy this substitute for your Taco Tuesday cravings!
INGREDIENTS (serves 4):
- 2 heads red/green leaf lettuce (or favorite greens)
- 1 lb grass-fed beef, browned
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomatoes, sliced
- 2 medium avocados, sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 cup salsa, preferred level of heat
- Preheat oven to 375 and line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Place cubed potatoes in large bowl and toss with ghee, salt, paprika and garlic.
- Spread potatoes on baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Brown the ground beef and drain fat. Add taco seasoning or a combination of chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- In a large pan, sautee peppers with onions, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat until peppers are still slightly crisp about 5 minutes.
- Chop lettuce and divide amongst plates. Assemble with tomatoes, avocado, pepper mixture, ground beef, sweet potatoes, salsa and lime wedges.