Warm and filling bowls of oatmeal are not reserved for chilly months.
In fact, I enjoy steel cut oats year-round for breakfast, or even a late night snack!
This recipe was what got me through my challenge of 10 days without refined sugar. The sweetness comes from the cinnamon, apples and swirl of agave nectar. (aka nectar of the gods).
Avoiding added refined sugars can be a breeze if you prepare your own meals and a steaming serving of these steel cut oats will keep you satisfied for hours too!! Be sure to serve in an elephant bowl. (Not required, but can be found at World Market).
In addition, making steel cut oats ahead of time is a great meal prep routine for breakfast all week!
Let me know what you think. <3
INGREDIENTS (serves four) :
- 1 cup dry steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 medium apples, diced (prefer Honeycrisp or any variety with tartness)
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup milk (prefer cashew, but feel free to use another nut milk or cow's)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare oats as instructed on container, and 5 mins before they are done, add apples.
- Once oatmeal is cooked. Stir in milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Sprinkle with pecans, swirl agave on top and garnish with apple slice if desired.
- If prepping for the week, put oatmeal in container prior to adding pecans and agave.
- Once re-heated, then top with nuts and agave nectar!