My favorite farmers' market just opened yesterday and I could NOT BE MORE THRILLED!
We live in Milwaukee and this market is stretched along a park next to Lake Michigan, with beautiful city views, a playground, beer garden serving farm-to-table fixings, live music and dotted with vendors selling:
fresh produce/meats/homemade items/coffee/hot food!
It is a food-lover's PARADISE.
Shopping healthfully is possible in grocery stores, but nothing compares to the local and seasonal goods you can find at your farmers' market. I bought a few stalks of rhubarb and couldn't wait to experiment with them. Most recipes containing this tart fruit also have a lot of added sugar... but my challenge was to create a tasty drink that did not require any added sugar (natural or refined).
The result? This summer smoothie was a hit!
Head down to your local market and whip up this delicious drink PACKED with antioxidants, healthy fats and nutrition minus any preservatives or sugar. This recipe makes enough for two snack-size drinks or one larger smoothie as a meal!
- 1 cup watermelon, frozen
- 1 cup mixed berries, fresh or frozen
- 1.5 cups spinach, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup rhubarb
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Ice to desired thickeness
- Add melon, berries, spinach, rhubarb, coconut water and almond butter to blender.
- Pulse until smooth. Add ice and blend until desired thickness is reached.
- Pour into glass and sprinkle chia seeds before serving!