Currently, I am 18 days into my Whole 30 journey!
For those of you unfamiliar with this program it involves a complete focus on whole foods and avoiding: dairy, legumes, sugar and sugar substitutes, grains of all forms, alcohol and additives. For the month of June I have chosen to try this elimination diet and test myself like I never have before.
What do I think? So far, it has been much easier than I had anticipated. My sweet cravings have lessened and are satisfied with fruit and the occasional Larabar. The sight of my trigger foods are still difficult to overcome, but I have made a commitment to myself and will not give in!
This recipe was created due to my love of caffeine, and while I tend to drink my dark roasts black... I also love to treat myself with lattes from the amazing local cafes nearby! Unlike Starbucks, they aren't sickeningly sweet and artifical tasting. The following recipe is my attempt at being a healthy dairy-free barista.
This latte is deliciously subtle in flavor and fulfills the desire to head to the cafe!
- 1 cup coffee, dark roast or preferred
- 3 oz coconut milk, canned
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pour hot coffee into blender followed by milk, vanilla, cinnamon and cocoa.
- Blend thoroughly about 30 seconds.
- Allow to settle and the layer of froth will rise to the top. Pour into mug and sip!